Sunday, September 27, 2009

After 27 good years together, it's time to move on

It's happened. It's over and I'll just have to deal with it. My awesome, at-the-time-crazy-expensive, 27 year-old-bike saw it's last day, last week.

I loved that bike. Sure, being as old as it was, it was heavy, but that just meant it took the downhills super fast. And sure, I had to tighten the gear lever every time I wanted to shift gears, but that just made me shift less and build up my legs more. The biggest bummer is that I was just starting to explore and understand the value of cycling as a serious training tool for rowing (legs and lungs, baby). And now, this.

I'll have to put myself out there in a market I don't know and haven't seen in 27 years...searching again for "the one". It's both exciting and daunting, but can it ever be the same with a new stream-lined model? Should I buy a bike for the athlete I am now and anticipate another long-term, hard-driving relationship? Or should I plan on changing bikes once or twice between now and the time I am in my mid-seventies? Can one bike adapt to both Kelleys?

For the answer to these questions and more, stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. No amount of flashy red paint and handlebar shifting will make up for the je ne sais quoi of the lanky brown touring bike I've had since 1986. Well, that's almost true. Because the first time you shift on an uphill without having to move your hand to the downtube, efficiency wins over sentiment.

    As for picking, you could always pick a bike for the athlete you are now--and stay that way until you're seventy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I will love my new bike, when I get her. It's just figuring out what to buy...phew!

    ReplyDelete